Digitization Assistant Position
The American Numismatic Society is hiring a Digitization Assistant for the Online Coins of the Roman Empire (OCRE) project. The position will involve processing the data-entry of an online database of all Roman Imperial coin types as recorded in the Roman Imperial Coinage reference series. S/he will be part of the OCRE team, report to the Manager of the project and work closely with colleagues in the curatorial department. The project is supported by a 3-year grant of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
The Digitization Assistant will populate a spreadsheet encompassing all published Roman Imperial coin-types with the characteristics of each of them and systematically check the accuracy of the corresponding information pertaining to the Roman collection. S/he is expected to work proactively in order to ensure that the OCRE project is implemented at a satisfactory speed.
Specific duties and responsibilities of the Digitization Assistant include:
- populating the master spreadsheet of Roman Imperial coin-types
- cross-checking the main database with the actual coins of the American Numismatic Society to ensure its accuracy
- updating the user manual for both internal and external use
- suggesting functionality improvements when needed
- collaborating with the other staff members involved with the project, including the Assistant Photographer and the curatorial staff of the American Numismatic Society
- helping and assisting the curatorial staff with data-entry tasks and database or actual coins checks linked directly or indirectly to the OCRE project
- interest in ancient history and/or numismatics
- knowledge of Latin desirable but not essential
- excellent computer skills and solid knowledge of Excel spreadsheets and Filemaker software
- ability to handle and manage large data sets
- attention to detail
The position is ideal for a student in classics, history, archaeology or any related field willing to be part of a high-profile project while preparing for the next stages of an academic or non-academic career. The position is for one year.
Applications consisting of a cover letter, academic resume, and the names of 2 references should be sent to email@example.com
The American Numismatic Society is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action employer.