ANS at the International Numismatic Congress
The American Numismatic Society will be at the International Numismatic Congress next week in Taormina, Sicily. Indeed, we are one of the sponsoring organizations and we are looking forward to a week full of scholarship and amiable association.
What follows is a rundown of ANS-related events at the Congress, perhaps the most notable of which is the cocktail reception that we are hosting in the picturesque gardens of the Villa Communale on Tuesday, September 22. The reception begins at 8:30pm and is being held in honor of Basil C. Demetriadi and in memory of the late Richard B. Witschonke. This event is also being sponsored by the Comune di Taormina and with the generous support of Numismatica Ars Classica AG, the Classical Numismatic Group, Inc., and Harlan J. Berk Ltd.
Here is a chronological list of papers and panels with ANS-affiliated scholars, which includes the work of two graduate students whom the ANS sponsored, Jane Sancinito and Katherine Van Schaik. Although they are not making formal presentations, ANS librarian David Hill and adjunct curatorial associates Peter Donovan and David Hendin will also be in attendance. We hope to see you there.
Monday, September 21
- 12.00 pm — Palazzo dei Congressi, Auditorium — Gilles Bransbourg – The Currency Rates of the Roman Republic
- 4.00 pm — Palazzo dei Congressi, Theatre — Robert Hoge – The Dispersion and Denouement of the Archer Milton Huntington Collection
- 4.00 pm — NH Hotel, Room C — Jane Sancinito – Parthian Circulation: a Study of the Wilson Hoard
Tuesday, September 22
- 9.00 am — NH Hotel, Room C — Matthew Wittmann – Empire of Coins: US Trade Dollars in the Late Nineteenth-Century Pacific
- 9.00 am — Palazzo dei Congressi, Green Room — Katherine Van Schaik – The Currency of Medicine: Healing Imagery on the Coins of Kos, Epidauros, and Pergamon, from the 4th century BCE to the 4th century CE
- 11.40 am — Palazzo dei Congressi, Auditorium —Andrew Burnett (trustee) – Victorious Emperors and a Happy World: a new coin of Zela
- 3.00 – 6.30 pm — Palazzo dei Congressi, Auditorium —“Networking Roman coin data repositories” routable with contributions from curator Gilles Bransbourg and trustee Andrew Meadows.
- 8.30 pm — Villa Communale — American Numismatic Society Cocktail Reception
Wednesday, September 23
- 11.40 am — Palazzo dei Congressi, Green Room — Elena Stolyarik – The Coinage of the Scythian Kingdom in the Dobrudja: The Evidence of Coin Finds and Monetary Circulation
- 12:20 pm — Palazzo dei Congressi, Auditorium — David Yoon – Evolution of Stylistic Patterns in Pre-Visigothic Tremisses
Thursday, September 24
- 9.00 am – 1.30 pm — Palazzo dei Congressi, Green Room —“The new LANDscape of Greek numismatics” rountable with contributions from Ute Wartenberg, Andrew Meadows, Peter van Alfen, Ethan Gruber, and Andrew Reinhard.