Read/Download via HathiTrust (Open Access).
- Michael Ierardi. The Tetradrachms of Agathocles of Syracuse: A Preliminary Study
- David Sellwood. The “Victory” Drachms of Phraates IV
- Ed Dobbins. Countermarked Characene Tetradrachms of Attambelos IV
- Richard G. McAlee. Vespasian’s Syrian Provincial Coinage
- William E. Metcalf and William J. Fulco, S. J. Coins from the Excavations at Tell Nimrin
- Y. T. Nercessian. Two Silver Coins of Gosdantin III of Cilician Armenia
- Neziiii Aykut. Some Coins of Mas’ud I, Qilijarslan II, and the Maliks
- John M. Kleeberg. Reconstructing the Beach-Grunthal Hoard of Counterfeit Halfpence: The Montclair, New Jersey (1922) Hoard
- Paul T. Keyser. Greco-Roman Alchemy and Coins of Imitation Silver
- Giles F. Carter. The Chronology of Augustan Asses and Quadrantes Determined from Chemical Compositions
- Book Reviews
(Coinage of the Americas Conference Proceedings 16, 2009)
edited by Oliver D. Hoover
Hardcover, 345 pp.
List price: US$125
OUT OF PRINT
This volume collects together the papers presented at the Coinage of the Americas Conference on Mark Newby and the St. Patrick coinage, held in 2007. The papers address a wide variety of questions that have dogged the study of the St. Patrick series since the eighteenth century. Included here are new approaches to the major problems of metrology, iconography, and chronology, as well as the divisive issue of who was actually responsible for the production of this enigmatic Irish coinage. An important survey of the various forms of money used in America in the seventeenth century serves as a background for the circulation of the St. Patrick coinage in West Jersey, while the final paper offers a reassessment of Mark Newby and his importation of the coinage to America. An appendix presents all of the St. Patrick coins in the collection of the American Numismatic Society.
The Denominations of the St. Patrick Coinages (Philip L. Mossman)
Ye King and I: King David and King Charles II on the St. Patrick Coinage (Oliver Hoover)
Old and New Takes on the St. Patrick Coinage (William Nipper)
Ormond and Blondeau: In Search of an Irish Coinage (Brian J. Danforth)
Coinage in the English Colonies of North America to 1660 (Louis E. Jordan)
Mark Newby and his St. Patrick Halfpence (Roger S. Siboni and Vicken Yegparian)
Appendix: St. Patrick Coinage in the Collection of the American Numismatic Society (Robert Wilson Hoge)
The Coinage of the Americas Conference is an annual meeting that provides a forum for exchange of knowledge on a selected theme in the numismatics of the western hemisphere.